Grocery Shopping

6/2/08

So after one of my other posts I got some emails and questions about my grocery bill and how it's accomplished.  It's really not that hard and I'm more than willing to share my secrets. There are several ways that I accomplish this.  The first thing is that I go to a discount grocery store. The beauty of living in a big city is that I have several choices.  We lovingly call our store the ghetto store and if you know us it's fitting.  I refuse to pay extra to go to the "nice" grocery store to buy the same products.  

Dinner is where our money goes.  Breakfast is normally cereal although a couple times of week I'll make a big breakfast.  Lunch for me is pb&j, chips and yogurt.  ALWAYS.  It's simple and I love it.  I may occasionally spice it up with a salad but pb&j is a favorite.  Currey eats sandwiches most lunches as well which is cheap.  I only eat out on Fridays with my coworkers. This also helps with the budget.

I am also kind of picky about what I cook.  I will normally not try a recipe that requires I buy 4+ ingredients that I will not likely use again.  I also get recipes from Rachel Ray and Bobby Flay.  Many of their recipes use the same spices so I can rationalize buying them because they will be used again.  Take some time to plan.  I try to cook recipes that might require some of the same ingredients.  This is another great cost cutter.

I also try to make one Sam's run a month.  This is where I buy chicken or steaks, bacon, naked juice, cereal, chips and milk.  Produce here is great as well.  This cuts the cost of weekly store runs.  I will not spend more than $100 per trip and I must have a list.  If it's not on the list it is not purchased. This rule also applies at the grocery store.  It's taken awhile to get to this point but I'm saving a TON!!! 

So this got really long really fast.  I think I still have my list from my run yesterday.  I'll put up an outline later to show what I do.  I must admit I'm very proud of my thriftiness!
 

0 comments: