Ode to the zester

7/4/08


So I realize that this is a strange post, especially on the 4th of July.  But Currey has to work so I'm home hanging out and I've been meaning to write about this for awhile.  Since there hasn't been much about cooking on my cooking blog I figured I should add a post.  

I love cooking but I am also incredibly cheap.  This leads to many interesting and creative ideas in the kitchen.  I often omit really expensive ingredients and rarely buy gadgets because I don't think they are useful.  That being said I have never understood the sense in buying a zester. Isn't it basically the same thing as a grater?  Why buy both?  I've made several recipes that required some sort of citrus zest and I used a grater.  NASTY!!!  I got more than zest and it was horrible.  But I've continued to cook and omit zest from all recipes.  But I also love the Food Network and so many of the chefs use zesters for all sorts of things.  This lead me to believe I might be wrong.

So on a recent trip to Williams-Sonoma I broke down and bought one.  I seriously don't know what I did before I got this thing!  I use it all the time and think it's a great tool.  So if you cook often buy a zester!  It's currently my favorite tool in the kitchen so it gets it's own special post.  

Hope you all have a Happy 4th of July!   

0 comments: