Blueberry Coffee Cake

7/20/08


I'm on a roll with my blogging!  This may be the most consecutive posts since starting.  Anyway, I was at the store the other day and they had big boxes of blueberries for $0.98 so I decided to buy 2 boxes.  I had no idea what to do with them but i could hardly pass up such a great deal.  

I then came home and went to one of the best sites EVER...foodnetwork.com.  One of the great features of this site is that you can type in an ingredient and it produces 100's of recipes to choose from.  Another great feature is that people rate the recipes so you can read reviews before ever cooking something.  There are often helpful suggestions in these reviews such as it need more of this or I cooked it for longer and it was better.  All and all I'm obsessed.  Anyway I found a couple to try and we had the first for breakfast this morning.  It was outstanding!!  It's a great weekend breakfast and makes lots so it's great for company.

Blueberry Coffee Cake 

1 stick butter, melted 
One can buttermilk biscuits (get the regular size not grands) 
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed 
several dashes cinnamon 
1 cup oats, divided 
1 1/2 cups blueberries 
1/4 cup sugar  
Heat oven to 375. Grease a 9x9 square pan very well. Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon and stir together with a fork. Separate the biscuits and cut into quarters. Dip each quarter in the butter then coat in the brown sugar mixture. Repeat with all the biscuit pieces forming single layer on the bottom of the pan. (you may not use all the brown sugar which is fine. When I made this I used up the mix quickly and had to make more halfway through. I upped what the recipe called for for the sake of convenience.)  

Pour 1/2 cup of the oatmeal on top of the biscuits. Combine the sugar and blueberries in a small bowl then spread the berries evenly over the oatmeal. Top with the rest of the oatmeal. Pour the remaining butter over the top and bake for 30 mins or until golden brown.  

Yummy!!

0 comments: