Rekindled Love

7/5/08


I have a renewed love for the library.  Strange I know but it's completely true.  I have ALWAYS loved to read.  I have so many memories of the summer reading club at the library, reading the same book with my mom a million times and being so wrapped up in a book that I can not function as a person until it's finished.  But sadly this love of reading and books faded.  I blame AP English which required reading dreadful books known  as "classics", followed by college reading and then even more reading in graduate school.  (and of course I read every word! :)

When we moved to Chicago we were walking distance from a small library but the selection was small and the staff was less than helpful.  When we moved to the south side there was minimal parking at the library and the quality and selection gave me a new appreciation for the one I'd left behind.  I'd all but given up on reading.  My mom would send a best seller my way or I would go through the month long process of having a new release sent to my new library and it would sit in my purse, reserved for passing time while on the train or a bus.  But that was it.

Then we moved to Wheaton.  I must admit that I didn't even think about the library until we went home for Christmas and needed our stack of books on CD.  I was overwhelmed!  The place was HUGE and voted one of the top 10 libraries in the US.  Who knew people kept track of that!  And now I am back to my love.  The magazine selection is as good as Barnes and Noble and you can check them all out!  You can put holds on books on their web page and they send email reminders when your book are about to be due.  It's amazing!  So on my days off this week I'm devouring books and magazines galore.  I'm already half way done with the book I checked out this morning!  Oh books, how I've missed thee! 

1 comments:

Rich said...

Hi darling.
Glad you're reading again. I'm reminded of a quote I read just last week...."A mind stretched by an idea will never go back to its old shape."
I like that one a lot.
I hope you have a great week. Give Mr.Currey a hug from us.
Love,
Dad