Avocado Pizza

5/5/08

Like most people we have a grocery budget.  Ours probably just happens to be tighter than most.  I must admit that if money were no object I would cook extravagant meals every day and have people over for dinner at least twice a week.  Unfortunately money is an object but it makes creative cooking much more fun! 

I grocery shop once a week.  (Or at least that's the goal.  I always forget something and make at least one more trip.)  I'm a coupon clipping, sale shopper and I count every penny that's beign spent.  Depending on Currey's work schedule regulates how many dinners I cook.  If he's closing at work than we eat big breakfasts together in the morning since we won't be able to have dinner  that night.  We've found it's much more economical to eat at home and if you are preparing great meals you really don't miss getting to eat out near as much.

So here is this week's break down.  $63 were spent.  That's all our breakfasts, lunches, and dinners for one week plus a few staples that I was out of.  We are having 4 dinners this week which include 2 new recipes.  We tried one tonight that was outstanding!  I love Rachel Ray's magazine.  I look forward to getting it every month because there are normally several recipes to try.  Tonight's meal was a variation on a pizza she made.  As I'm writing this I realize that I should mention that I don't measure lots of things.  I just eyeball them.  The recipe below reflects this!

1 Store bought pizza crust (I just used a Pillsbury refrigerated one)
3 handfuls of greens (we used torn spinach)
6-8 slices of bacon, crumbled
3 mashed avocados  (we made guacamole with garlic salt and lime which added great flavor)
1 handful of grape tomatoes, halved, salted and peppered

Cook the crust as the package directs.  Let cool slightly.  Spread the avocados like a pizza sauce. Top with greens, bacon and tomatoes.   

We thought it was a wonderful summertime recipe.  Hope you enjoy!



4 comments:

Celeste Castro said...

lol, I knew we were soul-mates! I mean how many people do you know that can share in the excitement of shopping on a budget, there is nothing better than beating your budget, crazy! I love your posts. It just makes me remember coming to visit you when we were at ACU and you were making bagel pizzas, memories. Miss you friend, have a great week!

Olivia Sims said...

Sounds great! I will try it for sure but will add a little fresh basil and shaved parmesan cheese. I will let you know how we like it. Thanks for the great ideas.

Anonymous said...

Yum! Can't wait to try this one, Shane loves guacamole!! Oh and I"m jealous of your total at the store! How in the world?! You must tell me your secrets!

Kyle Smith said...

Good to see you increase your online presence JJ. I look forward to reading about your food-escapades.