Getting Greener

10/6/08

It's been while since I posted. There are lots of posts I've been considering but I just haven't taken the time to do it. Life is crazy busy and will be for the next few weeks. I've had several posts in mind but I think this will be about our steps to go green.

For us, we have decided that supporting local businesses and farms is part of going green. We are also trying to make more things at home instead of buying process foods at the store. Honestly, I am loving every minute of it! We are shopping every week at the farmer's market for all of our produce. There is also a woman who has an olive stand and sells pita bread which I purchase to make homemade pita chips. They are AMAZING! Simply cut the bread into rectangular strips, brush each side with olive oil and then sprinkle with the seasoning you desire. My favorite thus far is fresh cracked black pepper and kosher salt. A small amount of pepper with garlic salt is also good. Be generous with the seasoning!

We are also making our own bread. I know this may launch us into the "weird" category but we spend a lot on bread each month so we started making our own. I like knowing what's going into the bread and we have enjoying trying several recipes. It's also about 1/4 of the cost per loaf so we are saving lots of money.

We had been talking to friends about this whole green thing and they mentioned that they made their own bread. We have 2 friends who have found great deals at garage sales or thrift stores so we began looking as well. We didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on something we wouldn't use. So one day in downtown Glen Ellyn we were in a consignment store. It was Labor Day so they were having a half price sale. We found one machine and were so excited but it didn't have an instruction manual which we knew we would need. Another shopper overheard us talking and began helping us look. We stumbled upon another machine with instructions. It was priced at $6 so we got it for $3 due to the sale. We figured that $3 was worth a try so we brought it home. We were pleasantly surprised that it actually works!



And here are the yummy results! I have enjoyed lots of baking and this Sunday alone I made pita chips, 3 dozen zucchini muffins and broccoli cheddar soup. I love being in my kitchen and making food that I feel is better for my family. Hopefully I'll post again this week about my homemade laundry detergent and some of the recipes I've been using with my fresh veggies. Yes I'm serious. We've made detergent! I'll post soon!

1 comments:

Celeste Castro said...

I am so proud of yall, it sounds so exciting! You sound more and more like an austinite, the transitition is happening, lol....