Saving Money at the Grocery Store Part 3

11/13/10

Every time I grocery shop these days, I'm reminded that I've not finished this series. Since I'm not great at blogging to begin with, a multi-post series might not have been the best idea.

I'm a very visual person. Seeing things makes them make sense to me. So here is a trip to the store.


Normally, we do not buy this much processed food. I promise! This trip to the store was before our churches Women's retreat. I was going to be gone overnight and asked Currey what he wanted for dinner while I was away. Frozen pizza was the answer. Also, I had a high value coupon to try the P.F.Chang frozen meals and they were on sale so I got that dinner for about $4. (On a side note, they aren't that bad. Not something I would regularly buy but in a pinch it was a decent, easy to prepare meal.)

There's a lot of candy because I was making Reese's cup cookies and taking M&M's for snacks.

Here's the run down. I spent $65.05 and saved $19.34. Yes...almost $20. This is the contents of this shopping trip.

Digiorno Pizza
Rice Krispies
7 Gerber Organic Baby Food packs
7 Earth's Best Baby Food jars
1 Package Huggies wipes
Peanuts
Balsamic Vinegar
Flour tortillas
Slice of cake
Roast
Deli Ham
Deli Salami
2 cans organic sweet potato puree
2 bags Reese's Cups
2 bags M&M's
2 bags cookie mix
P.F. Changs frozen meal for two
Toothpaste

Obviously, there are not very many meals in this run. A random trip just means that I have lots of odds and ends at the house that I need to use up.

To shop well, you need some flexibility. I was planning on making steaks but none were priced that well. But this roast was about to go bad so it was marked down $3 and I had a coupon for $1 off. So I got a $10 roast for $6. If you regularly price roasts, this is a great deal. Also, I needed balsamic vinegar. The bottle I got was being clearanced. It's regularly $6 but I got it for $2.

Target, especially, has great clearance deals. Often times, it's brands that they aren't carrying anymore. It's always worth checking out.

Those are my tips. I hope there is something that you find helpful about these tips. I'm really hoping to return to posting recipes very soon. We've gotten some great one recently. I can't wait to pass them on!

0 comments: